The following wrap up of (US) statistics by PewReseach on who is using Instagram shows just how big this crowd is:
- 53% of internet-using young adults ages 18-29
- 26% of online adults (21% of the adult population)
- 49% of all Instagram users use the site daily
- 32% say they go on several times a day
- 49% of users engage daily (3.31% average post engagement rate)
- 94% of Instagram users use Facebook
This is a phenomenal audience that reaches into the biggest social network above it. They’re active and they’re engaged. You have a matter of seconds in the stream to make an impact and soon these moments, your story and especially your 15 second video will be more valuable than a TV ad. Social video will soon regularly appear on TV and cinema screens as secondary distribution channels (as opposed to the other way around).
As a content creator, know your Instagram audience (and your advocates); what they follow, like and want; what would inspire them to love your images/videos too, and would drive them to advocate your story.